It’s back to school time! As summer comes to an end your child may not be too happy about trading days at the pool for sitting behind a desk. I think the best way to deal with these feeling is to get them excited about going back to school. Help your child focus on all of the things they love about school, not just the summer activities they are giving up.
Here are some ideas to help change your child’s feelings about going back to school:
- Involve your child in back to school shopping. My oldest son LOVES Star Wars. So, I bought him a Star Wars book bag and plenty of new Star Wars shirts. Now he can’t wait to wear all his new Star Wars gear to school.
- Plan a special breakfast for the first day of school. During the school year it can be hard to have a big complicated breakfast every morning before school. But for the first day plan something special with your child. Let them participate in the planning of a special first day of school breakfast. It will give them something to look forward to and take a little focus off going to school.
- Remind your child what their favorite part of school is, so they have something to look forward to. My son loves science, art, and gym class. So I try to remind him that when he goes back to school he will get to have all of the classes he enjoys.
- Pick some fun extracurricular activities for them to participate in during the school year. Does your child love sports or want to learn to play an instrument this school year? Have your child pick some fun activities to participate in that can only be done during the school year. This will definitely get them more interested in going back to school. My son wants to play soccer and learn how to play the guitar this year. So, every time he complains about summer almost being over I remind him about soccer and playing the guitar. Even though summer is ending other fun things will be starting.
- Friend, friends, friends! With crazy summer schedules it can be hard for your child to see all their friends from school. A reminder that going to school will be a chance for them to see their friends almost everyday will bring a smile to your child’s face. There is nothing more fun than seeing your best friends at school everyday!
What are some of your tips for getting your child excited about going back to school?
Share in the comments below!