This time each year, when we start lighting our pumpkin spice candles and fighting over who will host Thanksgiving, we think about what we are thankful for. Most peoples’ lists may include their family, friends, health … you know, all those beautiful #blessings that you could find on a Hobby Lobby wall plaque.
Now, of course I’m grateful for my husband, my son, my family, and all the aforementioned cliché answers. But, what about the other things we mamas relish? You know, the items we may not list off over mouthfuls of turkey and pumpkin pie?
If I’m Really Being Honest…
Here are the things that make this mama’s heart sing:
- Getting to carpool a few minutes early and having a little time to scroll in silence
- When leftovers last longer than expected and you get to put off cooking for one more night
- When the kids sleep in, and you have 13 minutes to yourself in the morning
- When you can watch your favorite show in a single sitting rather than turning it into a 6 part mini series
- When plans are cancelled, and you no longer have to put on a bra
- When the easy items are still left on the class party sign-up sheet
- Randomly deciding to go to Chick-fil-A … and it not being a Sunday
- Reading a magazine in the bathtub and not getting interrupted
- When you reach that point in a friendship where you no longer need to put on real pants to hang out
- After the kids go to sleep and you can eat your treat without any beggars
- “No bath” nights for the kids
- When your grocery pick up order has no “unavailables” …
- …or substitutions, unless it ends up getting you the economy size baby wipes for the cheaper price!
- Dry shampoo and the magic that it truly is
- Bedtimes when bribery—I mean, positive reinforcement—isn’t required
- Unexpected discounts at your Target check out
- Getting to listen to your music in the car (instead of Blippi)
- When you get home from your night out and the babysitter already has the kids asleep
- Take out nights, when you forego thawing, prepping, cooking, and cleaning for some yummy to-go
- When you get an accident report from preschool and your kid wasn’t the assailant
What About You?
So, what not-so-obvious-answers are on your thankful list this year?